Begin Again!

Begin Again!

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Torey's Funky Travelers Guide to Germany (part 2!)

1. Germans are odd drivers. On the weekend, they're slow and frustrating because they take their sweet time. On Monday morning though...better watch out. For the rest of the regular week, they are speedy and make quick jerks and as;dfkljasd;klfjasd its kind of stressful. The thing about Wedel (and probably all other German towns) is that the streets are narrow and curvy, making it hard for the average driver to navigate when everyone else is too. Its kind of scary and I'm really happy that I'm not allowed to drive here.
2. Saying "I don't care" really isn't polite at all. Me, being the passive person I am, use the phrase quite frequently, but here its basically the equivalent to saying "I don't give a sh!t" so watch out! Be decisive!
3. The radio is chock full of American music. I have been listening to "Call Me Maybe" ever since I got there. I thought I escaped this stuff. ads;fkjsdf;asklj;fkldfj.
4. As you may know, its typical to see nudity on the TV, especially on commercials and such. I like this. Not in a creepy way, but in a way that I think Americans love to censor the human body. What if a child sees boobies?! OH NO. ITS NOT LIKE IT HAS A MOTHER OR ANYTHING THAT FED IT FROM HER TITS. GOODNESS FORBID.
I like that about German TV. I also like that the news protects peoples identity a lot. If a witness is commenting on a story, usually their voice is garbled and the face is censored. That's smart, and appropriate. America is...not as nice.
5. Interesting fact, when American movies are dubbed in German, its typical that the title of said movie is changed. Get Him to the Greek? Its known as Männertrip. Or Man Trip. I think things like this are really silly  and cute and German.
6. Team sports are not really done through the school at all... I miss this in a way. While I'm not super supportive of my home team (Braves!) I still miss how it brings the school together with pride. Here, you join a club and that's where you go for sports.
7. German teenagers are not getting their license till their 18, and even then, its upwards of $1000 to buy one. They live on their bikes, and especially in towns like Wedel, its easy to get anywhere on your bike.
8. Internet restrictions are crazy. Tons of youtube videos are unsee-able because of the GEMA laws. Remember SOPA and ACTA? Same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment