Begin Again!

Begin Again!

Thursday, May 2, 2013

T minus 49 days....

About this time last year I had found out that I had won a full ride scholarship to do an exchange year in Germany. I had gotten an email from my host mom telling me that I'd be in Hamburg and that was just about it.
I found this all out a year ago. And I've been in Germany for nine and a half months.
I cringe everytime someone asks me how much time I have left and when I'm leaving.
June 20th. 49 days.
I remember when it was 300 days left. 200 days. 100 days felt like yesterday.
Coming to Germany was tough, but I always kept in mind that I was going to end up back in Boise anyways, so no matter what happened, I'd get through it.
But now, I'm quite anxious to go home because I know I can't simply hop back on a plane and come back here. Germany has become a part of me, or at least, I've become a part of Germany. This is my home, my life, and what I'm used to.
The changes that have occurred in myself may be subtle, but I feel like I've taken giant steps forward in not only my international social skills, but also in myself.
It doesn't sound like a big deal now because this is my home, but when I think about it, I dropped everything I had in Boise and moved all by myself in Germany.
I could be graduated and moved out of my house by now! My diploma is a simple sacrifice for a year in Germany. A year that has set direction to the rest of my life.
I'm rambling a bit, mostly because I've been thinking way too much about all of this these last few days. I decided this morning that with only 49 days left, I'll leaving skype and social media alone for awhile and be in the present as much as I possibly can.
Every time I talk to people about leaving all I get is "Das geht schnell"
And it really does go fast.
I mean heck! I've been in Germany for almost a year now!
A YEAR.
I'm excited to come home, excited to be in Boise...
I'm really really really not excited or happy to leave my host family. I try not to think about it too much because tears instantly touch me the second I think about life without them...
I am excited to wear all the clothes that I left at home.
And I'm excited to finish this journey, say that I accomplished more than I had set out to do or even imagined...
And I'm excited to move forward.
But for the time being, I'm going to stay in the present and be happy with my wonderful friends here, my amazing family, and the best dog on earth.
Watch out Boise, I'll be home sooner than you can say "Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei."
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment